Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

FrankenSocks, Zombie hat and other projects

I took the plunge and started my first pair of toe-up socks. I used a recommended pattern and on an evening when my husband was out, I tried it (I didn't think he needed to hear me swear if it didn't work). I loved it. I knew I would try toe-up eventually but had been nervous. 
These will be what I am loving calling FrankenSocks. I am using leftover yarn from other pairs to make myself some new socks. I looked at my current socks and 2 pairs are incredibly close to having holes so I need to replace them. Plus the first 2 pairs I ever made should be replaced as they aren't as long as I'd like them and are starting to thin.

Went through some of my leftover sock yarn and made some more FrankenSock combinations.

My bin of other sock yarn bits. Hopefully I'll be able to make a dent in it. I'm giving myself 2 months to focus on these socks - so I can buy myself some new yarn for Christmas?

Zombie hat. My friend's cat took a bite out of the hat I  made her. She brought it back so I could try to fix it. I've never fixed anything like this before but I gave it a try.

I tied all the little ends together, then tried to pick up all the stitches that had been affected and knit them again. When weaving in the ends, I went along the sides of the repair to make sure it was all connected well. Above is the front view.

Here is the inside of the hat. Doesn't look great but better than it did.

I washed and dried it before giving it back to make sure it stayed together. It also shrunk a bit which should help. The repair job just looks like I'm really bad at weaving in ends and my friend's still willing to wear it.

And I haven't forgotten my sewing machine entirely. I pulled some fabrics to make the baby some new bibs as he will be starting solid food soon. Using a free pattern from Purl Soho.

Here is my new little crafty area. I love having all my favourite things around me. Still have a few things to put away but I could use my desk if I really wanted/needed to. 

Took this picture of the baby and I the other morning. It was finally chilly enough to wear a knitted item. I have my Labyrinth shawl on under my coat.

And I'm almost done my self-imposed maternity-leave. I read parts of the above book this summer and think I want to use it to try editing one of my NaNoWriMo novels this fall. Speaking of NaNoWriMo, I plan to participate next month (still coming up with an idea), only because I want the t-shirt which you can see here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...