Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Books to Read in August

The first Wednesday of every month I'll highlight some of the recent books I've borrowed from my local library and hope to read this month. I've also come to realize that I have a lot of great books sitting on my shelves at home and am going to commit to reading at least one of those a month, too. The little guy keeps taking my books (he's wrecked two) and running around with them.  I need to read them before he wrecks more.

August has already been a busy reading month for me. I've finished reading these two the past week and read a whole novel yesterday. Both of the above were interesting (and couldn't be renewed so I had to read them). I'll write more about them at the end of August reading post.

The winner of the Man Booker Prize last year. This is a big novel which might make it difficult to read and nurse at the same time. I do a lot of my reading while nursing the little guy.

I requested the one on the left and can't renew it. Looks interesting (and short). I stumbled upon the Women Poets on the new bookshelf and am looking forward to reading some of it. 

A couple writing books I've had checked out from the library for too long. Need to read them and return them.

One of the nominees for this year's Man Booker Prize.

I also have some crafty books out as well. This is by Anna Hrachovec who taught the yarn twig workshop that my daughter and I went to last month. Some really interesting creatures in here. This one might go on my Amazon wish list.

This book is pretty good too. Trying to decide if there's only a few patterns I'd like to photocopy or if this is a book I should buy as well.

A quilting book. I've definitely been feeling the urge to do more quilting lately. I've missed the thinking time I have when doing chain piecing. It's nice to lose track of time while sewing pieces together with the hum of the sewing machine blocking out everything else. I've been working on clearing off my desk which has become a catch-all pile this summer. Hope to find my machine and use it by the end of this week.

This is probably my favourite pattern in the book. Not surprised really.

This book I actually bought as it is highly unlikely to arrive at the library. It's a lovely book with lots of great patterns. You can find the author's blog at Never Not Knitting.

This one is my favourite pattern and the reason I had to buy it. The tree on the back is hidden until you put the hood on. Love that. I really want to knit myself a jacket not just a cardigan.

Lovely detail on this cardigan. 

Love the leaf on the back and pockets of this cardigan.

And there's not just cardigans in the book, there are hats and other accessories as well. I particularly like this scarf. 

What are you planning to read this month? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...