Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What I read in December and 2014 Round-Up

Being busy with gift making certainly cut into my reading (and blogging) this month. As did being out of town for a week. I only have a few books to share.

A great book that was difficult to read as a parent. Not really spoiling anything by telling you that a child dies. It begins by telling you that. The novel tells you what happens to the family after and what happened before that lead to the daughter's death. Good twists and turns that I didn't expect and written well. Definitely recommend.

I've read the other Post Secret books and I usually read the post cards that are posted every Sunday on the website. If you enjoy reading people's secrets, you'll like this book. Some are heartbreaking, others will make you laugh out loud and some will make you think.

Finally got around to reading this and returned it to my SIL. I didn't realize it was considered Young Adult until I started reading it. I found the first half boring but pushed myself to finish it. The second half, once Max arrived, was much better. I didn't always enjoy the writing style but I'm glad I read it. A great book for teenagers and those who enjoy reading young adult fiction. 

I read a lot in 2014, here's my list.
Fiction
1. "Astor Place Vintage" by Stephanie Lehmann (Jan.)
2. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" graphic novel, Season 9, volume 4 (Feb.)
3. "The Hobbit" by J.R.R. Tolkien (March)
4. "The Weight of Water" by Sarah Crossan (April)
5. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" graphic novel, season 9, volume 5 (April)
6. "The Wife, the Maid and the Mistress" by Ariel Lawhon (May)
7. "My Wish List" by Gregoire Delacourt (May)
8. "The Knitting Circle" by Ann Hood (May)
9. "Evelyn Evelyn:A Tragic Tale in Two Tomes", graphic novel by Amanda Palmer and Jason Webley (June)
10. "Two Sisters" by Mary Hogan (June)
11. "The Stone Gods" by Jeanette Winterson (July)
12. "We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves" by Karen Joy Fowler (July)
13. "Knitting under the Influence" by Claire LaZebnik (August)
14. "The Wives of Los Alamos" by Tarashea Nesbit (Sept.)
15. "The House We Grew Up In" by Lisa Jewell (Sept.)
16. "Never Mind Miss Fox" by Olivia Glazebrook (Sept.)
17. "Five Days Left" by Julie Lawson Timmer (Sept.)
18. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Tales" Graphic Novel collection (Oct.)
19. "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" by Maria Semple (Oct.)
20. "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell (Oct.)
21. "Correspondences" Poem by Anne Michaels, Portraits by Bernice Eisenstein (Oct.)
22. "This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathon Tropper (Oct.)
23. "Out of the Dark" by Patrick Modiano (Nov.)
24. "The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil" by Stephen Collins (Nov.) graphic novel
25. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" by Jeff Kinney (Nov.)
26. "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng (Dec.)
27. "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak (Dec.)

Non-Fiction
1. "Create your Writer Platform" by Chuck Sambuchino (Jan.)
2. "The artful edit" by Susan Bell (March)
3. "This is where we came in" by Lynne Sharon Schwartz (April)
4. "Writer's Block : Using Brain Science to Solve Writer's Resistance" by Rosanne Bane (April)
5. "The Homeschool Option" by Lisa Rivero (April)
6. "Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting" edited by Ann Hood (April)
7. "Mud Season" by Ellen Stimson (May)
8. "See Jane Write" by Sarah Mlynowski and Farrin Jacobs (June)
9. "This is Ridiculous. This is Amazing" By Jason Good (June)
10. "The Amazing Thing About the Way it Goes" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (June)
11. "The Creative Compass" by Dan Millman and Sierra Prasada (July)
12. "Blog Inc." by Joy Deangdeelert Cho (August)
13. "The Trickster's Hat" by Nick Bantock (August)
14. "Adventures in Yarn Farming: Four Seasons on a New England Fiber Farm" by Barbara Parry (August)
15. "Mindfulness for Beginners" by Jon Kabat-Zinn (August)
16. "Still Writing: The Perils and Pleasures of a Creative Life" by Dani Shapiro (August)
17. The Writer's Little Helper" by James V. Smith, Jr. (September)
18. "The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets" by Simon Singh (September)
19. "Yes Please" by Amy Poehler (Nov.)
20. "The World of Post Secret" by Frank Warren (Dec.)
21. "The Scraps Book: Notes from a Colorful Life" by Lois Ehlert (Dec.)


That's 48 books in all! The last non-fiction book by Lois Ehlert will be a separate post.
My favourite fiction of 2014:
1. The Stone Gods by Jeanette Winterson
2. We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
3. Never Mind Miss Fox by Olivia Glazebrook
4. Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple
5. The Wife, The Maid and The Mistress by Ariel Lawhon

I enjoyed all the non-fiction read. If I don't like it I stop reading it.

Reading goals for 2015? To read less. Weird but true. Books are addictive and I could easily read this many books again in 2015 but I want next year to be more about my own writing. I hope to get the toddler and I on a better schedule that will allow for designated work hours. But kids often have their own ideas. I will continue reading but will be pickier about what I read. I don't think I'll read much more Young Adult, I don't really enjoy it. (I feel like I just offended a lot of people) And I hope to read more of the authors I love while finding a few new ones.

What are your reading plans for 2015? And did you have a favourite book(s) from 2014?

1 comment:

  1. I got the post secret book for Christmas. I love it! My fav books of 2014 were The Night Circus, Ready Player One and The Fault in Our Stars. Hoping to increasing my book reading from 25 in 2014 to 50 in 2015! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...