Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Little Poem Project

It's been a couple weeks since I've shared any of my little poems. I am still writing them everyday but I've decided not to share a week's worth of poems every Saturday. I'll still share one every now and then but not all of them. Knowing that I won't be sharing them, has changed the poems the last few days. They've become more personal and experimental in form. 

Today, I am sharing a poem I wrote on Tuesday, February 10th. The little poem came to be during yoga class. I am currently taking a Mindful Yoga class which includes three meditations per class, along with yoga postures. It's been an interesting class to take and a good way to get back into yoga after almost 4 years off. During one of the meditations on the 10th, the teacher instructed us to imagine ourselves as a mountain. I've been lucky to see the Rockies and visited Banff and Jasper and loved those mountains. When we lived in Idaho, I saw Moscow "mountain" everyday but none of those felt right. In 2011, our family visited the west coast and we stopped at Mt. Ranier and Mt. St. Helen's and it is the later one that came to mind. And then the poem followed.

This is what I feel like a lot of the time. That I am one moment away from erupting. And not in a good way. Being a stay-at-home mom of three kids, who would like to do more writing, life can be frustrating and sometimes I don't know how I hold it all together. I don't feel like a strong mountain connected to the Earth. I feel like a mountain who has lost it once and is struggling not to do it again.

I couldn't get the poem and image out of my head, even after I wrote it down. So, I'm going to try and make a Mt. St. Helen's painting. 

I settled on this picture which is from 1979, a year before it's eruption. I might do a second one from after the eruption but I'm going to try this one first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...