Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

What I read in February

Just like January, I didn't read much this month. I actually read a book this week just so I'd have something to blog about today. Here are the two books I read this month. I feel a reading kick coming on so I should have more next month.

I read Amy Poehler's book last November and really enjoyed it so I thought I'd give Tina Fey's book a try. It was good, not great, but I couldn't put it down once I started and read it in 2 days. Poehler's and Fey's books are different but good in their own ways, each reminding me of their own comedic style. Tina's was more like a real memoir while Amy's was more of a comedy book that happened to tell stories of Amy's life.  I'd recommend both.

I had never heard of this book before but I saw it popping up on lists as a Canadian classic and something hotter than Fifty Shades of Grey (which I haven't read). Again, I read this book in 2 days, finishing it yesterday. My thoughts and feelings about this book are still pretty raw. It was written in the 70's and reminds me of Atwood's "Surfacing", which I love. Describing it makes it sound weird so I won't go into much detail but basically a woman spends a summer on an island doing inventory of a house and ends up having a relationship with the former owner's pet bear. Yeah, you read that right. Somehow, it works and makes sense, but still shocking and feels Canadian. I tried to describe to my American friend what Canadian literature felt like but I couldn't find the words. There's just something about it and I can't believe I've never heard of this book before. 

It also seems that people are talking about this book again, especially the old cover. I like the copy I read that has a painting by Tom Thompson on the cover. I figured the book had to be good if both Margaret Atwood and Margaret Laurence, 2 giants of Canadian literature, wrote blurbs for the back of the book. I'd recommend "Bear" for adults only.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...