Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

What I Read in July

I really should have titled this post, What I read the past 2 weeks, as that is when I read these 6 books.    Our days have been incredibly laid back this summer and the kids and I have watched way too much tv. Great for knitting, not so much for reading. When we went away the middle of July I took 4 books with me to read. I read 2 before we arrived home. I think that's pretty good. I used to read more in the car but now I prefer knitting or crocheting. Anyway, here's what I read the past 2 weeks.

In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume
This is Judy's latest (and supposedly last) novel for adults. I really enjoyed the first half of this book but the more I thought about it, the more disliked the second half. I'm not exactly sure why that it. The writing is good but where she took the story wasn't where I wanted it to go, perhaps. Maybe there were other characters I was interested in, I'm not really sure. If you enjoy her work, read it. I think my dislike of it, is just a personal reaction. As soon as I finished it, I started reading another book so I would stop thinking about it.

Maybe in Another Life by Taylor Jenkins Reid
And this is the book I read right after in less than 24 hours. It's my favourite read from this month. It tells the story of Hannah who returns to L.A., and stays with her best friend, Gabby (and Gabby's husband). They go out that night for a welcome home celebration. At the end of the night, Hannah has the choice of going back to the house with Gabby or staying out with her ex-boyfriend. The novel than splits into 2 different stories - what happens if she goes and what happens if she stays. I enjoyed both what if stories and found them believable. It was a great vacation read. Definitely written for women but I wouldn't consider it chick lit. Would recommend if you are looking a light, fun read.

The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt by Caroline Preston
Novel told via a scrapbook of a woman in the 1920's. A nice, quick read with a solid story. I borrowed this (and several more books) from my mom. I enjoyed it and would recommend it if you want something a little different to read.

Here is a sample page. Not a lot of text on each page but plenty of stuff to look at. I enjoyed the story so much, I requested her other novels from the library.

Among the Ten Thousand Things by Julia Pierpont
Written well but I didn't really enjoy it. The novel is about what happens to a family once infidelity is exposed by the children finding all the emails the father had with his mistress. I found that reading this book made me angry but I couldn't stop reading it. I didn't really like any of the characters. Found them to be stereotypes a bit but the writing was good enough that I kept reading. I'd be willing to read other things by the author. I'm sure other people love this book, it just rubbed me the wrong way. Warning: there is some graphic sexual language.

Hold Your Own by Kate Tempest
A poetry collection all based on the the theme of Tiresias from Greek Mythology. He lived as both a man and a woman and then was sentenced to live on Earth, blind, by the Gods for generations. I really enjoyed this. Poetry is very personal and I liked how the poet wrote. Others may not.  This collection is just over 100 pages. I'd love to read more of her work and recommend this.

Pretty is by Maggie Mitchell
I just finished reading this yesterday (it's due back at the library tomorrow) and I haven't completely decided how I feel about it yet. The novel is told by two different women, Lois and Carly May/Chloe. The summer they were 12, they were kidnapped by a man who kept them for 6 weeks at a cabin in the woods before the police found them and the man took his own life. The girls were then returned home and lost touch with each other, as there parents wished. As an adult, Lois writes a novel loosely based on what happens under a different name. It becomes a movie and Carly May, now going by the name Chloe, gets cast in the movie. The two women eventually reunite on the movie set but they don't tell anyone how they know each other. There are some twists and turns, such as one of Lois' students figuring out who she is and stalking her. I think I found the ending rushed. I enjoyed the novel but then all of a sudden it was over. Think it could have been 50 pages longer to make the ending better. I enjoyed it enough to recommend it. 

I have lots more to read this month. Our library shelf is overflowing. Only the novels on the left are mine. I have another novel due Saturday that I can't renew so I better get reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...