Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

Friday Finishes

I have one knitted finish to share today and two quilt projects that have made some progress.

Here is the neck warmer right after I finished it. I didn't take any measurements at this stage. 

     You can see from this picture that the yarn was still very stiff. I used this yarn to knit myself a sweater earlier this year so I knew the yarn would soften after blocking.

     What I did forget was that if you air dry this yarn, it stretches like crazy. I let it air dry and the neck warmer stretched to 25 x 10.75 inches. Finished size is suppose to be 23 x 9.5 inches.

And the yarn had definitely softened. (Sorry for the bad picture, we had rain all day yesterday and I lost count how many times I tried to get a decent picture inside.)

Here Floyd is modeling how stretchy it was. I put it around his neck and it slid down.

So I threw it in the dryer with a load of laundry (it was still damp) and after an hour it looked much better. It now measures 23 x 9.5 inches. Perfect.

     And it sits up like a neck warmer should. The rain had slowed to a drizzle so my daughter and I ventured outside for pictures. This is a test knit so I am not able to link to a pattern right now but I'd recommend it once it's published.  I think I'll be gifting this to someone only because it doesn't match my winter coat. Or maybe I need to get a new coat? The test knit was for Sarah of Imagined Landscapes. You can find her blog here and her designs on Ravelry here.

      Now onto some quilting. I finished cutting all the fabric for Floyd's quilt. Fabric is Barcelona and bought a couple years ago. It can still be found. I'm hoping to have this done for his birthday next month. I have just over 2 weeks to finish it. I used a fat eighth bundle for this quilt. I was able to cut two, 9.5 inch squares from each fabric. I then matched each pair of squares with a solid. I am using black, cream, orange, blue and green. This should be a bright, fun quilt. 

I am using Cluck Cluck Sew's Stack n' Whack tutorial. I did the first 2 pairs this morning to get the 4 blocks above. Now to repeat that 23 more times. The blocks are finishing at 8.5 inches. The final quilt will have a layout of 8 x 12 blocks. Finished size will be 64 x 96. I already have the backing and batting ready. Just need a quilt top.

And I cut and sewed the fabrics for my final dresden. Now to sew them into a plate after ironing.

Did you finish anything this week?
Linking up at Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...